How to Retain Your Carpet Warranty
Five Quick Things You Should Know about Carpet Warranties
- When it comes to maintaining your carpet, one of the most critical areas of focus is the traffic areas. If ground-in soil is not removed on a regular basis, the traffic areas will wear excessively. Carpet warranties have exclusions for replacement due to normal wear and tear and they ALSO exclude carpets that have not been properly cleaned, showing premature wear patterns!
- Another carpet warranty area of focus is spot removal. You must react to “danger” spots immediately. Red wine, colored beverages, urine, blood, etc. can cause a permanent stain if not treated immediately. Listed below are steps you can take to properly maintain your carpeting. Copies of specific warranties on your carpet purchase are available from your carpet retailer. Stain resist warranties can vary from 5 to 20 years.
- Here's an excerpt from the Dupont Stainmaster Warranty. CARE AND CLEANING OBLIGATIONS: To maintain your warranty coverage you must do the following: Clean stains or soiled areas promptly. To qualify for coverage under all limited warranties outlined in this warranty brochure, you must have had hot water extraction cleaning performed by a trained, qualified carpet care professional, at least as frequently as every 18 months since the date of your carpet purchase. Failing to do so will void your warranty coverage. SERVPRO of the Twin Ports has the most awesome carpet cleaning system ever built - called the VORTEX. It has 3x the vacuum power of other truck mounted systems, so we are able to dry your carpets in 1/3 the time, it generates 250 degree + temperatures, allowing us to drop the amount of cleaning products used by 10x, we rinse with clear water - so there's no soil-attracting residues left behind. Of course you would expect this level of technology to cost a little more...and it does, but the value lies in cleaner carpets that stay cleaner longer! You save money in the long run and your carpets look fantastic.
- Frequent Vacuuming is A Key To Your Carpet’s Longevity. Vacuum your carpet often. Vacuuming removes the sharp soil that can cut and slice the fiber causing premature wear. Much of this soil is not visible to the eye. Ground in dirt particles provide an extremely abrasive grinding action against your carpet’s fibers as you walk back and forth on the carpet. This action removes chunks of carpet fiber and rapidly degrades the new-looking appearance. If you don't have a good vacuum, stay tuned for our vacuum recommendations.
- Vacuum before the carpet "looks" soiled. Remove any loose particles such as loose food, leaves, pieces of crayon, bugs, etc. as these items can cause a spot on the carpet. Adjust the brush to penetrate 1/8” to ¼” into the carpet pile. Change filter bags when they reach 2/3 full. After that, they plug up and simply do not pick up any more dirt!
Your Vacuum Cleaner Makes or Breaks Your Carpet
Make certain your vacuum is of substantial quality to provide enough airflow and agitation to remove dry soils embedded in your carpet. If your vacuum is not performing properly, your carpets will wear much faster.
Not sure if your vacuum is up to snuff? Bring it in to our office and we will do a free vacuum inspection to make sure it is working OK. Most vacuums suffer from a lack of maintenance.
It's simple, if your vacuum can't "breathe" it won't pick up dust and particles. Need help with a new vacuum? If you want a professional quality vacuum like the ones we use, you may contact us for a recommendation. Which vacuum you need depends on what you will be using it for. Canister models work best for detail and hard surface cleaning, and uprights are generally best for carpets.
Warranties and Professional Cleaning
As a general rule, professional cleaning by an IICRC certified firm such as SERVPRO of The Twin Ports should take place at least once per year. For extremely heavy traffic areas, cleaning is required more often. Proper professional cleaning will not leave a sticky residue behind and can be done as often as needed. MOST STAIN RESIST AND TEXTURE RETENTION WARRANTIES REQUIRE PROFESSIONAL CLEANING EVERY 12-24 MONTHS.
Professional cleaning removes the damaging soil from the traffic areas that vacuuming has not been able to remove. WARNING: UN-INFORMED CARPET CLEANERS MAY USE CLEANING PRODUCTS THAT MAY VOID THE WARRANTY. BE VERY SELECTIVE WITH WHICH COMPANY YOU HIRE.
SERVPRO of The Twin Ports has trained and certified technicians "Here to Help"