What Is Black Mold?
"TOXIC BLACK MOLD" sounds wildly scary. Is there such a monster lurking in the dark, damp corners of your home, causing you or your family members ongoing problems with illnesses that cannot be explained?
Perhaps. Not all mold that is black is the same kind. There are some varieties of mold that are extremely toxic, others are mildly irritating. What color the mold is doesn't determine how nasty it is. Testing does.
SERVPRO of The Twin Ports performs mold evaluations and testing to determine if the discolorations you are looking at on your basement walls actually IS mold, or is it just a dirty spot? Call (218) 727-2575 today to learn more about our unique mold testing, inspection, and consultation services.
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of The Twin Ports immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (218) 727-2575
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of The Twin Ports is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- West Duluth
- New Duluth
- Billings Park
- Superior Village