Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
Spring Break Home Safety Tips
Getting away from the snow and cold is great this time of year! Just make sure your home is prepared for your absence.
With Northland schools starting their Spring Break, most of us are also starting our vacations. Going on vacation should be relaxing and worry-free which is why it is important to make sure your home is secure before you leave for your trip. Here at SERVPRO of The Twin Ports, we want you to be ready so you don’t come back to damages in your home.
Make Arrangements with an Emergency Contact
- Entrust a close friend or family member with your trip itinerary and contact information so they can contact you if anything happens at your home.
- Set various house lights on a timer to give the impression that someone is home.
- Leave written directions for alarm codes, doors, or other information needed to properly care for your home.
- Have a friend or family member collect your mail and paper for you daily. Full mailboxes and porches can tip potential burglars off.
- Contact the US Post Office and your local newspaper and ask to have your mail held and services suspended if someone cannot collect them for you.
Take Plumbing and Electric Precautions
- Prevent leaks and floods from damaging your home by shutting off gas and water at the meter, supply tank or appliances. Your local Duluth water company can help with this.
- Turn off the water valves to washing machines, sinks, and the dishwasher.
- Unplug electronics to cut down on any possible shortages which could potentially cause a disastrous fire.
- Double check your smoke detectors to ensure they are working properly.
- Adjust your thermostat for the season in the winter to 55-60 and in the summer to 75-80 to help control usage.
The Day of Departure
- Let your security company know that you are leaving town, and leave them the name of an alternate contact in case of an emergency.
- Take out all trash in the home and clear the fridge of anything that will perish while you are away.
- Go on one last walk-through of your home to secure windows, blinds, fences, doors, and plugs. This will ensure all entries are safe from hazardous obstructions.
If you come back from vacation and do find damage within your home, call SERVPRO of The Twin Ports (218) 727-2575. The sooner you call us, the sooner we can make it “Like it never even happened.”
Got Mold? (The Answer is Always ‘Yes’)
Trying to deal with mold is always a big question mark. Leave it to the experts at SERVPRO of The Twin Ports to fully remediate the affected area.
Mold is everywhere! The weather conditions in the Northland are perfect for mold and mildew growth. Mold spores can lie dormant for months until the next change of seasons provides new conditions for different varieties to rapidly take over. If left untreated, mold may pose serious health issues. According to the Center for Disease Control, mold sensitivity can produce a range of symptoms from mild reactions, such as stuffy nose, wheezing, and itchy eyes or skin, to move severe reactions including fever, shortness of breath, or the development of asthma. People with weakened immune systems, such as cancer patients, organ transplant recipients, or people taking medications that suppress the immune system, are at an increased risk of mold infections.
As experts in the field of mold remediation, SERVPRO of The Twin Ports has decided to extend a free service to Duluth-Superior area residents and business-owners. They have developed an online survey that allows the user to provide some basic information regarding the discovery of mold and about the affected property. Once the survey is submitted, the user is prompted to email pictures of the visible mold to a certified mold technician. The information will be reviewed to determine the best course of action. “Too often, when people discover mold, they try to self-treat it which doesn’t actually kill the mold spores and stop future growth,” owner Kevin Buck explains. “We want to offer our assistance to the community in identifying mold and recommend professional remediation options before the mold has a chance to impact the health of our neighbors and fellow business owners.”
For more information about utilizing the free service, contact SERVPRO of The Twin Ports at (218) 727-2575 or check them out online at www.SERVPROtwinports.com.
Mold Testing Now Available
Mold Testing determines the extent of mold contamination and identifies the type of mold, which makes exploration and remediation more directed.
SERVPRO of the Twin Ports Now Provides Mold Testing Options to Determine if Remediation is Necessary
How do you know if your home has mold? Or how do you know if the stuff on your wall is mold or something else? How much mold is there and what affect will it have on our family?
Now you can validate safe occupancy for any home or business with scientific testing for mold.
- Air Samples: reveal the mold spore particulate count in living spaces. Now you can know and understand which areas of your home are unaffected and which areas are affected by mold. Know what kind is present, how much of it, and what concerns there may be about that particular variety.
- Surface Samples: reveal if settled dust particles contain mold spores and what kind.
- Swab Tests: identifies the type of mold you can see on a surface.
Call (218) 727-2575 today for a free mold testing estimate.
Click Here for our free Consumer Guide to Mold
How to Retain Your Carpet Warranty
SERVPRO of The Twin Ports offers
24/7 Emergency Service
Five Quick Things You Should Know about Carpet Warranties
- When it comes to maintaining your carpet, one of the most critical areas of focus is the traffic areas. If ground-in soil is not removed on a regular basis, the traffic areas will wear excessively. Carpet warranties have exclusions for replacement due to normal wear and tear and they ALSO exclude carpets that have not been properly cleaned, showing premature wear patterns!
- Another carpet warranty area of focus is spot removal. You must react to “danger” spots immediately. Red wine, colored beverages, urine, blood, etc. can cause a permanent stain if not treated immediately. Listed below are steps you can take to properly maintain your carpeting. Copies of specific warranties on your carpet purchase are available from your carpet retailer. Stain resist warranties can vary from 5 to 20 years.
- Here's an excerpt from the Dupont Stainmaster Warranty. CARE AND CLEANING OBLIGATIONS: To maintain your warranty coverage you must do the following: Clean stains or soiled areas promptly. To qualify for coverage under all limited warranties outlined in this warranty brochure, you must have had hot water extraction cleaning performed by a trained, qualified carpet care professional, at least as frequently as every 18 months since the date of your carpet purchase. Failing to do so will void your warranty coverage. SERVPRO of the Twin Ports has the most awesome carpet cleaning system ever built - called the VORTEX. It has 3x the vacuum power of other truck mounted systems, so we are able to dry your carpets in 1/3 the time, it generates 250 degree + temperatures, allowing us to drop the amount of cleaning products used by 10x, we rinse with clear water - so there's no soil-attracting residues left behind. Of course you would expect this level of technology to cost a little more...and it does, but the value lies in cleaner carpets that stay cleaner longer! You save money in the long run and your carpets look fantastic.
- Frequent Vacuuming is A Key To Your Carpet’s Longevity. Vacuum your carpet often. Vacuuming removes the sharp soil that can cut and slice the fiber causing premature wear. Much of this soil is not visible to the eye. Ground in dirt particles provide an extremely abrasive grinding action against your carpet’s fibers as you walk back and forth on the carpet. This action removes chunks of carpet fiber and rapidly degrades the new-looking appearance. If you don't have a good vacuum, stay tuned for our vacuum recommendations.
- Vacuum before the carpet "looks" soiled. Remove any loose particles such as loose food, leaves, pieces of crayon, bugs, etc. as these items can cause a spot on the carpet. Adjust the brush to penetrate 1/8” to ¼” into the carpet pile. Change filter bags when they reach 2/3 full. After that, they plug up and simply do not pick up any more dirt!
Your Vacuum Cleaner Makes or Breaks Your Carpet
Make certain your vacuum is of substantial quality to provide enough airflow and agitation to remove dry soils embedded in your carpet. If your vacuum is not performing properly, your carpets will wear much faster.
Not sure if your vacuum is up to snuff? Bring it in to our office and we will do a free vacuum inspection to make sure it is working OK. Most vacuums suffer from a lack of maintenance.
It's simple, if your vacuum can't "breathe" it won't pick up dust and particles. Need help with a new vacuum? If you want a professional quality vacuum like the ones we use, you may contact us for a recommendation. Which vacuum you need depends on what you will be using it for. Canister models work best for detail and hard surface cleaning, and uprights are generally best for carpets.
Warranties and Professional Cleaning
As a general rule, professional cleaning by an IICRC certified firm such as SERVPRO of The Twin Ports should take place at least once per year. For extremely heavy traffic areas, cleaning is required more often. Proper professional cleaning will not leave a sticky residue behind and can be done as often as needed. MOST STAIN RESIST AND TEXTURE RETENTION WARRANTIES REQUIRE PROFESSIONAL CLEANING EVERY 12-24 MONTHS.
Professional cleaning removes the damaging soil from the traffic areas that vacuuming has not been able to remove. WARNING: UN-INFORMED CARPET CLEANERS MAY USE CLEANING PRODUCTS THAT MAY VOID THE WARRANTY. BE VERY SELECTIVE WITH WHICH COMPANY YOU HIRE.
SERVPRO of The Twin Ports has trained and certified technicians "Here to Help"