Spring Break Home Safety Tips
With Northland schools starting their Spring Break, most of us are also starting our vacations. Going on vacation should be relaxing and worry-free which is why it is important to make sure your home is secure before you leave for your trip. Here at SERVPRO of The Twin Ports, we want you to be ready so you don’t come back to damages in your home.
Make Arrangements with an Emergency Contact
- Entrust a close friend or family member with your trip itinerary and contact information so they can contact you if anything happens at your home.
- Set various house lights on a timer to give the impression that someone is home.
- Leave written directions for alarm codes, doors, or other information needed to properly care for your home.
- Have a friend or family member collect your mail and paper for you daily. Full mailboxes and porches can tip potential burglars off.
- Contact the US Post Office and your local newspaper and ask to have your mail held and services suspended if someone cannot collect them for you.
Take Plumbing and Electric Precautions
- Prevent leaks and floods from damaging your home by shutting off gas and water at the meter, supply tank or appliances. Your local Duluth water company can help with this.
- Turn off the water valves to washing machines, sinks, and the dishwasher.
- Unplug electronics to cut down on any possible shortages which could potentially cause a disastrous fire.
- Double check your smoke detectors to ensure they are working properly.
- Adjust your thermostat for the season in the winter to 55-60 and in the summer to 75-80 to help control usage.
The Day of Departure
- Let your security company know that you are leaving town, and leave them the name of an alternate contact in case of an emergency.
- Take out all trash in the home and clear the fridge of anything that will perish while you are away.
- Go on one last walk-through of your home to secure windows, blinds, fences, doors, and plugs. This will ensure all entries are safe from hazardous obstructions.
If you come back from vacation and do find damage within your home, call SERVPRO of The Twin Ports (218) 727-2575. The sooner you call us, the sooner we can make it “Like it never even happened.”